- 2626.May.SundayNo events
- 2727.May.MondayNo events
- 2828.May.TuesdayNo events
- 2929.May.WednesdayNo events
- 3030.May.ThursdayNo events
- 3131.May.FridayNo events
- 0101.June.SaturdayPecho Valley Rd, Los Osos, CA 93402, USAhttps://cnpsslo.org/event/point-buchon-and-bishop-pine-ridge/Pecho Valley Rd, Los Osos, CA 93402, USA
Saturday, June 1st, 8:30 am, Point Buchon and Bishop Pine Ridge, Montaña de Oro State Park
This field trip is guided by PG&E botanist, Kelly Kephart, and will give us access to the ridge south of Coon Creek. The hike is 3.0 miles round trip with an 800 ft. elevation gain.
Meet at the Coon Creek trail parking lot at the southern end of Montaña de Oro SP. Bring a photo ID, as each hiker will need to register themselves at the PG&E kiosk when entering this area.
We will walk up the ridge road, where we will see the bishop pine forest, as well as coastal scrub and chaparral habitats. In addition to Bishop Pine, Pinus muricata, we will see the Pecho manzanita, Arctostaphylos pechoensis, a CA Rare Plant Rank 1B.2.
Bring adequate water, snacks, and dress in layers for the weather; a hat and sturdy shoes are advised.
For info, contact Bill, 805-459-2103. No dogs please.
Researchers have discovered that Phytophthora ramorum, the pathogen that causes SOD, spreads most often on infected California bay laurel leaves. Some management options are available, but they are effective only if implemented before oaks and tanoaks are infected; hence, timely detection of the disease on bay laurel leaves is essential for a successful proactive attempt to slow down the SOD epidemic.
CNPS-SLO Annual SOD Blitz
The SOD Blitz informs and educates the community about the disease and its effects, gets locals involved in detecting the disease, and produces detailed local maps of disease distribution. The map can then be used to identify those areas where the infestation may be mild enough to justify proactive management.
- A community meeting/training session held on a Friday evening in May, followed by collection of leaf samples by volunteers on Saturday and Sunday.
- Samples and accompanying forms are then turned in at a central location Saturday and Sunday afternoon/evenings.
- We provide a list of recommended areas for sampling at the meeting and divide into groups.
PLANT SALE FUNDRAISER
We provide refreshments and table settings and we ask that you bring your own eating utensils (although plastic utensils are available).
Tickets at $10 per person are available for purchase on our website or if you prefer, you may send payment to D. Krause, 2706 Newton Drive, Cambria, CA, 93428.
Questions? Contact David Krause at firstname.lastname@example.org or 805-927-5182 for information about our next banquet.