Thank you again to everyone who made 2016 a huge success in the herbarium. Here is some important info about the herbarium this quarter:
- The times this quarter are Thursdays 3 – 5 pm and Fridays 12 – 2 pm.
- I now have the ability to pay for metered parking so please let me know if you’d like to use that option.
- Dr. Paul Wilson is guiding us on a moss collecting hike on Feb. 11th and will be talking with us in the herbarium on Feb 10th during the volunteer session.
- Last quarter, we mounted almost 1,000 new specimens. That was really incredible and thank you to everyone who helped manage the large number of students who were in there!
- We also finished cataloging the Herbarium Library, and boy did we find some treasures. We are still in the process of refiling all the books.
- Cathy and Jason are making progress on our lichens and mosses.
- The SLO Voucher Flora Project is still happening and we are chipping away at that. All of our records can be searched here:
- Plants: http://nansh.org/portal/
- Mosses: http://bryophyteportal.org/portal/
- Lichens: http://lichenportal.org/portal/
In other big news, our newest Botany faculty member, Dr. Dena Grossenbacher, has arrived to Cal Poly. She starts this quarter. She studies Mimulus and Clarkia, among other
wonderful plants. I’m sure you will all meet her at some point this quarter.
– Dr. Jen Yost
See also: Volunteer at the Hoover Herbarium