Dedicated to the preservation of California's native plants
The mission of the California Native Plant Society is to increase understanding and appreciation of California’s native plants and to conserve them and their natural habitats through education, science, advocacy, horticulture and land stewardship.
Wildflower Updates from our Community
Images submitted by Nancy Chalk who attended the CNPS-SLO annual field trip to Shell Creek to view the Carrizo Plain wildflowers Images submitted by Steve Schubert who attended the CNPS-SLO annual field trip to Shell Creek to view the Carrizo Plain wildflowers Would...
For those who want more in-depth wildflower updates, The Theodore Payne Foundation does a great job
Theodore Payne Wildflower Hotline
818-768-1802 extension 7
The purpose of the SOD Blitz is to inform and educate the community about the disease and its effects, get locals involved in detecting the disease, and produce detailed local maps of disease distribution. The maps can then be used to identify those areas where the infestation may be mild enough to justify proactive management.read more
The cover drawing and article for this issue of the OBISPOENSIS was written and drawn by Alice Meyer. She was a very active member (and first Hoover Award Recipient in the 1970 and 80’s. She is the one who named our newsletter, OBISPOENSIS, and served as its editor...read more
Spiny emex (Emex spinosa) Mark Skinner (firstname.lastname@example.org) Spiny emex is in the Buckwheat family (Polygonaceae) and is an up and coming invasive species in California’s south coast. It’s from the Mediterranean region of Africa infesting disturbed areas...read more
- 1717.April.MondayNo events
- 1818.April.Tuesday3740 Orcutt Rd, San Luis Obispo, CA 93401, USAhttp://cnpsslo.org/event/growing-grounds-farm-plant-sale/3740 Orcutt Rd, San Luis Obispo, CA 93401, USA
Growing Grounds Farm is a non-profit wholesale nursery located in San Luis Obispo. Growing Grounds offers California natives, Mediterranean perennials, succulents, restoration and mitigation plants, a wide variety of grasses, and a selection of perennial herbs.
Growing Grounds Farm is a wholesale nursery and does not sell directly to the public except on the 3rd Tuesday of each month from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m
- 1919.April.WednesdayNo events
- 2020.April.Thursday6901 Capistrano Ave, Atascadero, CA 93422, USAhttp://cnpsslo.org/event/workshop-identifying-invasive-oak-pests-and-diseases-in-san-luis-obispo-county/6901 Capistrano Ave, Atascadero, CA 93422, USAApril 20, 2017 @ Atascadero Library 6555 Capistrano Ave, Atascadero, CA 93422**FREE Workshop & DPR CEU’s are applied for**Agenda:1:00 pm – 1:15 pm Check-In1:15 pm – 1:30 pm Welcome and Introductions Lauren Brown, California Native Plant Society, San Luis Obispo County1:30 pm – 2:15 pm Goldspotted Oak Borer: Life Cycle, Identification and Management Speaker: Kevin Turner and Kim Corella, Cal Fire2:15 pm – 3:00 pm Identification, Impact and Management of Shot Hole Borer Speaker: Akif Eskalen, University of California, Riverside3:00 pm – 3:15 pm Break3:15 pm – 4:00 pm Sudden Oak Death: Identification and Management Speaker: Kerri Frangioso, University of California, Davis4:00 pm – 4:30 pm Questions for speakers
- 2121.April.Friday9315 Pismo Ave, Atascadero, CA 93422, USAhttp://cnpsslo.org/event/atascadero-lake-native-garden-ribbon-cutting/9315 Pismo Ave, Atascadero, CA 93422, USA
Ribbon Cutting Ceremony
Special Guest Speaker: Penny Nyunt, daughter of Bert Wilson, owner of Las Pilitas Nursery
- 2222.April.Saturday9315 Pismo Ave, Atascadero, CA 93422, USAhttp://cnpsslo.org/event/atascadero-lake-native-garden-open-house/9315 Pismo Ave, Atascadero, CA 93422, USA
- 2323.April.Sunday927-999 Osage St, Nipomo, CA 93444, USAhttp://cnpsslo.org/event/nipomo-native-garden-spring-garden-tour/927-999 Osage St, Nipomo, CA 93444, USA
Nipomo Native Garden Spring Garden Tour offers a delightful afternoon of garden tours, talks, and a children’s program
1:30 Controlling Gophers in the Garden – Gopher biology, habits, hearsay
2:00 Using Drought Tolerant Native Plants in the Garden
3:00 Controlling Gophers again – a popular subject
Children’s Garden Program
Puppet making: All the fixings available to make your own puppet
Flower Pounding: Kids can make a lovely bookmark to take home
Kids can also enjoy the regular activities available in the Children’s Garden:- the sandbox, the wishing tree, hopscotch, and looking for insects and other critters in the Bug House.